Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Weigh To Go: Weeks 3 and 4 Recap, Week 5 Plan

Yes, it’s true.  I didn’t update this little thing last week.  So for those who were glued to your computer screens waiting for an update, here it is.
The last two weeks haven’t been great, but they haven’t been terrible either.  I only caught the last 20 minutes or so of last week’s webinar, which was over dining out.   Basically, the synopsis of it was that there are a ton of calories, fat, and sodium in fast food meals, as well as meals at popular dine-out restaurants.  Also, there are multiple servings in each meal, so you really should be able to make several meals out of one entrée.  I knew most of these things, so apparently I didn’t miss much while I was sitting in my monthly department meeting.
As for the last two weeks, eating has been better, but not great.  After the house/dog-sitting venture, I did indeed jump on the cooking bandwagon.  I made some killer chicken/bacon/veggie/bean tacos/tostadas.  Fairly healthy, and I made 8 meals out of it.  I did cave a few times.  Subway (that buffalo chicken sandwich is only $5 until tomorrow), Taco Bell (I worked late one night, and my normal Tuesday spot, plus one Saturday indulgence), and QT taquitos (and loaded potato rollers…mmm…).  There was also a Burger King indulgence in there, but still sticking to the swear-off of McDonalds.  Oh, and there is the fairly routine Sunday morning trip to Sonic for a Coke Zero and Cheddar Bites with ranch.  So, yes, there have been some caves, but I cooked too.  Last week, I cooked up some excellent (and fairly healthy) parmesan crusted tilapia, with spicy wild rice and peach salsa.  Magnifico!  Granted, that culinary victory was followed by a bacon extravaganza in the form of chocolate covered Oreos and peanut butter no-bake cookies covered in the candied delightfulness.  Now, these delicacies were for a Bible Study potluck/barbeque, but I’m pretty sure I sampled an unhealthy portion of them to make sure they were safe for consumption.  I’ve also wiped out my supply of light adult beverages, which I don’t intend to replace any time soon.  I’m attempting to jump start good eating habits.  One step at a time…speaking of which…
Exercise hasn’t been the greatest the past couple weeks.  I have started walking at lunch more often.  It has helped a bit.  However, I haven’t walked in the evenings, except for walking to the mailbox to return my Netflix habit – which is probably better than driving down to the mailbox on my way to work, or just dropping it in the mailbox at work.  It’s probably a little over a ¼ mile round trip, but it’s a good 10 minute walk in the evening, if nothing else.  I didn’t do too much on the weekends, but I did help build some electric fence (a lot of walking) and do some home improvements at the working birthday party this weekend (but mostly I just showed up for the food). 
This week is about meal replacement or eating on the go without eating out.  The dietician’s advice is to buy pretzels or peanuts at a convenience store instead of a candy bar or chips.  She also says to pack snacks like cheese sticks, veggies, fruit, or peanut butter sandwiches on whole wheat bread if you’re on the go.  Again, most of these I know, but I don’t adhere to them that well…obviously.  She also is promoting the walk at lunch thing.  Already doing it. 
The goal this week is to walk every day at lunch, if only for 10 minutes.  Also, I plan on walking to Bible study Thursday night, if I’m not enveloped at work.  Plus, since this weekend is a three-day weekend, I’m sure Dad’s got a list of physically demanding chores to do while I’m there.  So the exercise front is covered.  On the eating front, I’m going to cook tomorrow night, but I still haven’t decided what yet.  I’m thinking a healthy-ish pizza or something along those lines.  I’ll keep you posted.   
I haven’t weighed in for two weeks, but the last time wasn’t pretty.  I’m not exactly on track to hit the -15 pound mark by the end of this 10 week course, but I’m still going to strive for it.  We’ll see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment