Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Weigh To Go: Week 2 Recap, Week 3 Plan

Yes.  It was a bad week.  I would include how much I think I've gained, but let's just say it's less than the 10 pounds that it feels like.  In the grand scheme of things, it could have been worse, but it was still pretty bad.  The only meals that didn’t involve a sub from either Subway, Planet Sub, or Quiznos was Tuesday supper (Taco Bell, three Fresco tacos), Wednesday for lunch (salad), Friday supper (KFC [doublicious sandwich, buffalo snacker, potato wedges] and a couple pieces of Pizza Hut pizza at Lurenda and Keith’s party), Saturday lunch (big salad), Saturday supper (burgers and fries at Jared and Christina’s), Sunday lunch (Taco Bell, Triple Steak Burrito), and Sunday supper (sweet sour pork with Mom and Dad).  So that’s eight footlong/large subs since then.  Ulgh.  Thinking about that makes my stomach groan a little.  Fiscally, the footlong Buffalo Chicken sub from Subway was almost responsible, since it’s the $5 sub for the month.  Alternately, Quiznos and Planet Subs subs (roast beef/cheddar and turkey bacon guacamole from the former; Beefeater [beef, bacon, barbeque], the Experience [chicken, pepperoni, bacon, jalapenos], and Tijuana Taxi [chicken, cream cheese, jalapenos] from the latter) made up for any alleged savings while at Subway, because they’re a bit pricy.  However, the good news is: no McDonalds.  I also only broke down and got taquitos three times.  “Only” being completely relative, of course, but it’s been a bad week, clearly.  Excuses, I know, but if you were in my situation this week (with the house-sitting, etc.), you might not have done so well either.
On the exercise front, it wasn’t a great week, but not awful.  Wednesday I walked the dog (or he walked/dragged me, depending on how you look at it) from my cousin’s place to mine (about a mile), and proceeded to clean my pad, then walked back.  It would have been better if I would have forgone the reward sub when I got home, but it’s better than nothing.  I should have walked to Bible study on Thursday, but I didn’t.  I didn’t exercise on Friday either.  Saturday I didn’t exercise per se, but I did help move some furniture at Jared and Christina’s, so that’s got to count for something, right?  Sunday, I made up for any lack of exercise for the week.  Dad baled probably 120 square bales (probably 70-110 pounds apiece), and Josh and I picked it all up – while Clayton drove my truck.  If there was any doubt about my being out of shape, it was chiseled in stone after that little excursion.  It felt good to do some hard work though.  I was really feeling it on Monday though.  I hurt.  However, I decided to revisit the dog walk/apartment cleaning scenario to help a bit, and I finished said cleaning. 
So this week’s lesson is on reading labels.  This isn’t really my strong suit, not because I don’t care about what I eat or don’t read labels, but a lot of stuff that I make [normally] is a recipe and not boxed.  However, I do need to go grocery shopping, so I guess I can try out anything I learn today when I go on Wednesday, when I start cooking again. 
I’m thinking something Mexican.  Or something with bacon.  Mexican bacon? 
The dietician is kind of lauding corn tortillas, which I’m not a huge fan of – not because they aren’t good tasting, but they fall apart very easily.  Maybe I’ll try the light frying then make something light to go on top of it.  We’ll see. 
Now we’re on to serving size.  That might be something to look at.  She’s using cereal as an example.  Apparently a serving size for Captain Crunch is ¾ cup, whereas Kix is 1 ¼ cups.  Fascinating – with only slight sarcasm. 
Rice isn’t a whole grain?  Well that changes things…
Hmmm…potassium is good for people with high blood pressure…or in foods that have a lot of salt.  Good to know…
Now she’s on to the non-labeled foods.  Finally.  Well, that was kind of lackluster.  I already knew most of that.
That’s all for now I guess.  Goal for the week (beginning tomorrow after lunch): don’t eat out and walk more.  It’s beautiful outside now that the heat has broke (for now), so time to exercise more. 

1 comment:

  1. Maybe easier to make the list would have been: Meals that Weren't Fast Food/Subs.
    If rice isn't a whole grain, what is it?
    And the corn tortillas taste the same fried on a lightly greased skillet (wipe it with an oily paper towel) as they do fried in a 1/2 inch of oil. Just so you know.
    I don't read labels either, if it's not boxed or frozen. But having the boys has made me more aware - a toddler portion size is 1/3 of an adult portion: ie 1/4-1/2 cup of mac and cheese, not half the box.

    ReplyDelete