Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Republican National Convention Commentary: Day 3


Okay, it’s Day 3, and after last night, I’m jazzed.

Not too thrilled that I’m watching this, yet again, on PBS.  I wish I had C-SPAN or FOX News for this, because I really don’t like this Gwen Ifill/Judy Woodruff/Mark Sheilds/David Brooks commentary.  Truly lackluster.  I either want moderately intelligent commentary (FOX News) or none (C-SPAN), but my fiscal stance doesn’t justify cable, so I’m settling for PBS.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is joining them in the box, but I doubt he’ll be able to speak some sense into them.  I’m not even going to commentate, because Brooks just dropped a stupid question that anyone with any sense would know about the divided Senate.  These people give journalism a bad name – like most “journalists” nowadays.  Nice.  McConnell just verbally slapped Shields.  Fantastic.  And now they’ve swapped McConnell for Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois.  Incredibly lame to invite a Democrat to commentate.  Why don’t you just invite Rachel Maddow?  Talk about a robot.  This guy has hit every misnomer and standard talking point of the Democrat party. 

Now we’ve shifted to a pre-taped interview with Tagg Romney, one of the nominee’s sons.  Not as polished as his mom and dad, but seems just as genuine. 

Oh, so we’re not going to carry Speaker Boehner’s speech or the Pledge, but we’re going to interview the writers of a book about Romney?  Oh, and they’re both writers for The Boston Globe.  Wow.  Tacky.  How disrespectful.  They’re commentating instead of carrying the national anthem.  Even tackier.  Oh my goat.  These lunatics are driving me up the wall.  Now we’re shifting to “presidential historians”.  Great.  Commentating break. 

Oh, did we just realize that Boehner was at the podium?  Ugh.  I Got a Feelin’ again?  Fail again, RNC music supervisor.  The floor is looking a lot more vibrant tonight.  The people, that is.

Congressman Connie Mack of Florida just took the stage.  Good speech.  Short, sweet, and to the point.

They just showed a Reagan legacy video.  I’m not going to lie, I swelled with emotion.  Not a blubbering mess like women watching the latest whoring from the mind of Nicholas Sparks, but rather, pride in America and respect for a great man. 

Now Newt and Callista Gingrich are at the podium, talking about Reagan’s legacy.  Ooo…Newt, I  love you.  I don’t love your personal life, but I love your political resolve.  Thanks for likening this novice in the White House to the failed Jimmy Carter.  Callista is no Ann.  Too robotic.  Great words. 

Now we’re playing a Hispanics video.  Not too keen on these things.  Too much like pandering.  Their words are right on, but this seems too heavy-handed.  Though, I think I just find it odd in this party, whereas pandering is commonplace in the other.  What really irritates me about this video isn’t the content, but that Governor Luis  Fortuno of Puerto Rico plays a major role in it.  And his remarks weren’t carried last night. 

Now Craig Romney, Mitt and Ann’s youngest son, is delivering remarks in Spanish.  Not terribly keen on this, but I’ll give him credit, because he did missionary work in Chile.  Okay, I like this kid.  He got choked up talking about his grandparents.  Short, but sweet. 

Now a video about the American dream. 

Now former Florida governor Jeb Bush is at the podium, flanked by Sean Duffy, a teacher from Texas, and Franz Placide, a student of school choice from Florida.    “I love my brother.”  We do too.  “Mr. President, it’s time to stop blaming your predecessor for your failed economic policies.”  Preach.  “…a real leader would accept responsibilities for his actions.”  Amen.  Now he’s on to education.  This kind of seems like riding on the winds brought by Condi last night.  I hate to critique a fellow Republican, but Mr. Duffy , you look like a bearded ginger version of Rachel Maddow.  Though, you aren’t foaming at the mouth, so I’ll give you credit.  Excellent milk analogy on school choice, Gov. Bush.  “You can either help the politically powerful unions, or you can help the kids.”  And he just brought up Gov. Walker’s fight for education.  The crowd loved it.  Did I mention that Gov. Walker annihilated the [P]MSNBC whack-job panel last night?  Epic.  Look it up.  Okay, back to Gov. Bush.  I really like how he never said that a quality education is a right, but rather an opportunity. 

Okay, PBS is taking a break.  Switched over to the Kansas City/Green Bay game.  No surprise there.  Green Bay is up 14-3.  Go Packers!

Ooo…I think I can see Meghan Kelly from the convention perch.  So much more attractive than these bloviating windbags, Brooks and Sheilds.  They think this convention is “too idealistic.”  Really?  That’s a bad thing?  Commentating break.

Now PBS’s guy on the floor is interviewing Ted Cruz.  He’s asking him about the Tea Party.  Cruz is giving this guy a great schooling.  We’re not going to cover the current speaker, instead we’re going to listen to the “presidential historians” ponder whether this is the return of the Goldwater era.

Now we’re hearing from tenants of the Mormon church.  This guy is propping up Romney’s faith credentials.  Last night, I read a thread of conversations about the evangelical thoughts on his Mormon faith.  Ooo.  Gov. Walker is sitting with Ann.  Sorry.  A.D.D.  I’m just having a hard time getting into this guy’s speech.  It’s monotone and I don’t think he’s capable of moving his upper lip.  It’s not without substance, just not stirring.  Okay, his name is Bishop Grant Bennett, and I think his left eye is fake.  Sorry.  A.D.D. again.  Now Pat and Ted Oparowski are at the podium.  They’re telling a touching story about their son’s illness and the character of Mitt Romney throughout.  Great story, great folks.  Now, Pam Finlayson is at the podium.  Another touching story, and I appreciate how she’s getting choked up – shows the genuine side.  Great story. 

If these whack-jobs start in on Romney’s likability, I’m going to blow a fuse.  And….there Gwen goes.  I’d go on a commentary break, but former Mississippi governor, Haley Barbour, is in the booth.  He just zinged Sheilds: “You and I both know that if this election is about Barack Obama, Mitt Romney is going to win.”  Brooks just took a condescending tone with Barbour on Medicare, and I love how Barbour is calmly putting him in his place.  How did we get back to Medicare?  I thought we were on likability.  I know we won’t talk about faith on PBS, but come on.  Why are you moving to immigration Sheilds?  You just tried to demonize Governor Jan Brewer of Arizona.  Fail.  Your wattle amuses me though.  Barbour’s response about securing the border, though – brilliant.  Zing!  Barbour just lightly slammed Brooks comment on cutting funding for public broadcasting.

Tom Stenberg, former CEO of Staples, just took the podium.  The crowd is chanting “You built that!”  Love it!  “Who would make a better president?  [Paraphrased:] Someone who likes saving a dollar on pens and paper, or someone who wastes $500 million dollars on Solyndra?”  I love how he’s getting the crowd in on this, “They just don’t get it.”  Classic.  Good speech. 

And now the talking heads are talking about how the Mormon stories not getting out until now is “campaign malpractice.”  Really?  Judy is actually trying to make a good point, that Ann said Mitt doesn’t like talking about himself. 

Now, Ray Fernandez, a Florida businessman, has taken the podium.  He’s propping up Romney’s work at Bain Capital, and how Bain helped he and his wife build their own business.  Very short speech, but absolutely necessary. 

Commentary break.  I need sustenance, and they’ve shifted outside the hall to other talking heads.

Former Massachusetts Lieutenant Governor Kerry Healey is at the podium now.   She’s here to prop up Romney’s tenure as governor of Taxachusetts.  Okay, there’s something I didn’t know.  She says that he never took a salary when he was governor.  That’s kind of Ron Paul-esque.  “…he will never apologize for America.”  I think that’s the first time I’ve heard the apology aspect at this convention. 

And back to the talking heads.  More sustenance. 

Now, Jane Edmonds, former secretary of workforce in Romney’s cabinet – and a liberal Democrat – is at the podium.  This ought to be interesting.  She’s really propping up his promotion of women in government.  That was good.  I’m not aligned with her ideologically, but I have great respect for her.  She’s not afraid to say that she respects his authenticity and passion. 

Now the talking head are blabbering again.  Why can’t we watch whoever is performing right now.  Sounds a lot better, just in the background, than these windbags.  Now this “presidential historian” just tried a subtle blow at Governor Chris Christie.  Oh, it’s Taylor Hicks performing.  Nice.  Another “American Idol” alum. 

Kim Rhode, a gold medalist in skeet shooting, just took the stand.  Apparently, this is the Olympics segment.  She’s joined by Dan Jansen and others.  Scott Hamilton – wow, that one surprises me. She just introduced the hockey captain from 1980 Olympic team, Mike Eruzione.  Big chant, “USA! USA! USA!”  Love it!  I kind of want to go re-watch Miracle now.  Derek Parra is speaking now.  These guys are doing a great job showing how well Romney managed the Olympics.  A.D.D. moment: Hello, Paul Ryan.  Let’s be friends.  Okay, Mr. Parra’s story is incredibly touching.  I don’t remember this story of the World Trade Center flag at the 2002 Olympic Games.  Well done, sir.

Oh, man.  I’d rather listen to BeBe Winans instead of the commentary.  I’ll commentate instead.  I really wasn’t as jazzed about tonight’s lineup, because I didn’t know hardly any of them.  However, this is going quite well.  I just love how these talking heads are just flummoxed at the idea that Mitt relates to “normal” people.    Seriously, I want to listen to BeBe.  Wonderful.  Ooo…they’re cutting to him.  Surprising.  Fantastic!  Gwen: “That was worth listening to.”  Instead of you, Gwen, any day. 

Have I mentioned how excited I am to see Clint Eastwood here?  Can we just have him throw the Obamas out of the White House onto the lawn and then say as only he can, “Get off my lawn!”?  Please?!  Can’t wait!

Now we’ve got an Olympic tribute video.  Check that, this is more of a overview of Romney.  Great video.  YouTube it.

Oh.  Hell yes.  Love the backdrop behind Clint.  Classic.  Can’t wait to hear what he has to say.  I don’t think he’s using the teleprompter.  Love it.  I can’t even commentate.  You must YouTube this.  Epic.  “Politicians are employees of ours.”  Preach.  “When somebody does not do the job, we gotta let ‘em go.”  This is fantastic.  “Go ahead… MAKE MY DAY!”  That was AWESOME!

That may be the first right thing the talking heads have said all week, “Tough act to follow.”  But I think Senator Marco Rubio of Florida is up to the task.  Love this guy.  This guy’s got passion.  I can’t wait to see “President” in his title in eight years…  He just took on the Obama campaign’s slogan “Forward”.  Fantastic.  “Hope and change has become divide and conquer.”  Word.  “This election is about your future, it’s about yours.”  Agreed.  “Almighty God is the source of all we have.”  Preach.  Literally.  “Faith in our Creator is the most important American value of them all.”  This guy is awesome.  Passion, charisma, and heart.  He’s got a captive audience.  I think he just had a minor gaffe, and I’m sure the talking heads will have a field day with it.  Regardless, great speech.  Love. That. Guy.

And here’s Mitt.  Coming in on the convention floor, instead of from backstage.  Classy.  And now the talking heads are blabbering about the stage change.  Mitt really does look humbled by this.  Okay, up till now, I’ve actually been kind of captivated by the speech, but now the protestor(s) is interrupting.  Too bad PBS didn’t have a good angle.  I bet they were in the [P]MSNBC box.  Good speech, thus far.  I’m kind of dropping the commentary ball here, but it’s not really something I can talk about while watching.  It’s pretty engrossing.  Okay, best quote yet: “In America, we celebrate success.  We don’t apologize for success.”  Word.  I think we’re getting into the meat now.  Ooo….a five step plan.  1) Energy independence, 2) Education choice, 3) Trade, 4) Cutting the deficit and balancing the budget, and finally, 5) Promoting small business (reeling in regulations and repealing and replacing [?] ObamaCare).  I like that.  A business plan.  “As president, I’ll protect the sanctity of life.  I’ll honor the institution of marriage.”  Thanks for addressing these issues from such a huge platform.  “My promise is to help you and your family.”  “[In a Romney administration,] Mr. Putin would see a little less flexibility and a little more backbone.”   Great speech, Governor.  I’m behind you. 

This was a great convention.   Look at all the people on this stage!  Fantastic!  The talking heads are bloviating.  I’m going to sign off.  I’m excited.

Ugh.  And I just realized that I’m that much closer to next week’s swirling vortex of doucheism in Charlotte.  Don’t worry; I’ll cover it so you don’t have to.  Taking one for the team, that’s me.  I don’t look forward to it, but I’m going to do my best not to throw things at the television.  

No comments:

Post a Comment