Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Republican National Convention Commentary: Day 2


Night 2. Let’s go. 
Okay, the color guard is out, and they’re disabled veterans.  Nice touch.  Naturally, the PBS coverage isn’t going to carry the Pledge of Allegiance.  I’m surprised they’re carrying the National Anthem, sung by Ayla Brown, daughter of Senator Scott Brown of Massachusetts.   Lovely.  So was the song.

Okay, so the wattle from last night, Mark Shields, a syndicated columnist.  The New York Times douche, David Brooks. 

Why are these talking heads dwelling on the alleged lack of personal likability on the part of Mitt Romney?  He’s perfectly likable, and seems pretty genuine.  How about we talk about the two-faced person occupying the Oval Office?  The wattle just said “we know Chris Christie better after a half-hour speech last night than we know Mitt Romney after two presidential campaigns.”  Really?  Where has this fossil been for the last year?  I’m bored with this.  I’m halting commentary until they bring in a guest or shift to the stage.  The color guard just left the stage.  Classy.  Christina Bellantoni, political editor of the News Hour, just joined them.  Still not going to commentate. 

The Ron Paul video just started.  I’m intrigued by this.  Okay, I’ll admit it, I think this is a ploy.  I agree with some of what Paul stands for, but some of his views are out there.  I really think this is a way to reach out to the Paulites, and bring them into the fold.  Good move, but I don’t think it’ll do a whole lot of good. 

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky is taking the stage.  He’s not really saying anything that knocks it out of the park, but he’s doing fine.  McConnell isn’t the best speech giver, but he’s been a bulwark in the Senate against the rat known as Harry Reid.  Okay, there was a nice pun about how Obama is looking “for a spot on the PGA tour.”  Props.  “To call this a recovery, is an insult to recoveries.”  Word. 

Okay, talking heads, you should just let Jack Blades Back in the Game blast and shut up for a while.  Oh, really, Brooks, get a little dig in at Palin being “kicked off FOX tonight.”  Since when?  I love how these idiots talk about the Tea Party like they know something about it.  Completely devoid of intellect, that’s how I would label them.

Okay, Rand Paul, Senator from Kentucky, is taking the stage.  “When the Supreme Court upheld ObamaCare, the first words out of my mouth were, ‘I still think it’s unconstitutional.’”  “The whole damn thing is still unconstitutional.”  Preach.  He’s reiterating the “you didn’t build that” comment.  If this were a drinking game, there’d be some alcohol poisoning by now, but you can’t really drive that point home enough.  I’m not going to lie, these oriental names tripping him up are kind of amusing.  Thank you for bringing up the Keystone pipeline.  Okay, he wasn’t as awesome as I thought he might be, but he was still petty good. 

Now we’re on to the Bush video, of 41 and 43.  Is there any classier first lady than Laura Bush?  Integrity.  Exactly.  I didn’t always agree with either of their actions, but I have tremendous respect for both of them.  That was a superbly classy video.  Funny, touching, and just a nice touch.  I’m surprised that the talking heads are almost giving both men props.  Okay, Sheilds.  You’re driving me up the wall.  Now he’s back to this “Mitt Romney isn’t personable” talking point.  Just shut up. 

I’m surprised they’re carrying the tail end of Jeanine McConnell and Chris Devlin-Young’s introduction of Senator John McCain of Arizona.  Hello, Gov. McDonnell.  I really don’t understand why McCain is here.  I’ve never been a fan of his.  I have great respect for his service to this country, but as a politician, I’ve never cared for him.  Now, Governor Jan Brewer of Arizona (who it just flashed on screen), I love her.   Look, I’m liking everything he’s saying about the veterans and those serving today, but I can’t shake this notion that the RNC is letting, by all accounts, a loser address the convention.  He lost four years ago, so how is anything he says supposed to rev the engines of those here today?  Okay, props for addressing the US-Israel relationship.   Oh, ten points for hitting the administration on the media leaks.  I do like how he’s addressing the uprisings in Iran and Syria.  Not necessarily because it’s the job of the US to be the world police (yes, I now have America, F--- Yeah! stuck in my head), but because the president has been completely uninvolved.  This is a job for the UN, or at least, it’s what they should be doing were they not about the most corrupt international organization in existence.  Okay, I’m off the soapbox.  McCain is wrapping up, and not a moment too soon.  I still don’t understand why he’s even speaking.  I can think of about ten other people who could have filled the slot. 

And naturally, PBS has to bring up the Todd Akin media-created controversy.  Ooo…now Rick Santorum is joining these whack-jobs in the PBS box.  This guy is so likable, and showing these tools that this election isn’t just about social issues.  And now they’re trying to still make this election about likability.  Santorum is actually giving into them.  I wish he’d just say, “Let’s talk policy, or about what a train wreck this current administration is.”  Naturally, PBS isn’t carrying a woman speaker.  They’d rather ask Santorum about his sweater vests. 

Pam Bondi, Attorney General of Florida was completely cut out.  Now they’re cutting to Sam Olens, Attorney General of Georgia.  Oh, so this is a joint speech, back to Bondi.  They’re slamming  ObamaCare, and talking about their efforts to stop it.  “It is a tax.”  Preach.  A little robotic, but I liked what they had to say. 

Now Senator John Thune of South Dakota.  Don’t know a whole lot about him off the top of my head.  “[In a basketball game] President Obama would be easy to defend, because you always know he’ll go to his left.”  Nice.  Thank you so much for brining up the farming issues.  This administration’s war on family farms – especially trying to keep farm kids from helping out – is an issue near and dear to me.  Okay, a fairly short speech, but effective. 

Really, Brooks?  You’re going to lump the Occupy movement in with the Tea Party?  These guys are a joke.  And now we’re back to Sheilds still talking likability.  And now they’ve dug up a Pew Research fossil.  You should see this guy.  Talking about the youth vote.  They interviewed the youngest delegate there, a 17-year-old that showed more in the two minutes they had him for than they can get out of this talking corpse.  I know this sounds mean, but I don’t have kind words for people who are so blatantly partisan.  You should see this dude’s teeth.  He’s bashing my boy, Paul Ryan.  And now we’re interviewing John McCain. 

Okay, an update on the FOX-Palin note from earlier.  She’s not appearing on FOX tonight, but she doesn’t elaborate.  Apparently she wanted to talk about McCain.  I can see why FOX wouldn’t want that.  Oh, and I didn’t glean this from PBS.  Thanks, Drudge Report.

Now this Pew (Andre Kohut) guy is saying that young people are “packaged liberals”.  And that, ladies and gentlemen, is an indictment on the public school system.  These people are infuriating me.  I get it, this is PBS, but it’s nonetheless irritating.  Bored. 

Okay, now Senator Rob Portman of Ohio is taking the stage.  I don’t know much about this guy either, but I’ll admit that I found his spot on Romney’s short list as nothing more than pandering to get votes in Ohio.  So glad Romney went big with Ryan.  Okay, I’m liking this guy.  He’s making a great analogy about how Romney would be better trusted with investing our personal wealth, so why not trust him with the wealth of our nation?  “President Obama says he deserves reelection because his policies have worked.  Not in this universe, they haven’t.”  Love it!  Okay, now I know why this guy was on his short list.  Energy, reforms, jobs – all key elements.  But I still love Ryan more.  Getting giddy for his speech. 

Steve Cohen, an Ohio businessman, is at the podium.  “…the unnecessary war on coal.”  Preach.  Short speech. 

Okay, so I missed the running commentary on the PBS booth’s guest, Senator Ron Johnson of Wisconson, but he had some great points.  Now the PBS guy on the floor has found a Missouri delegate that will talk about the media-created Todd Akin controversy.  The whack-jobs in the booth couldn’t wait to talk about this.  Ugh.  Get off this unnecessary topic.  Though, I understand why they’re talking about it, because they don’t want to talk about real issues. 

And now, former Minnesota governor, Tim Pawlenty.  “Welcome to Barack Obama’s retirement party!”  Love it!  “When Paul Ryan speaks, Joe [Biden] will finally get to hear what a real vice president sounds like.”  Amen, brother.  “Barack Obama is the first president to create more excuses than jobs. … Mr. President, if you want to find fault; I suggest you look in the mirror.”  Word.  “It’s understandable.  A lot of people fail at their first job.”  Love this!  “In a few months…Barack Obama will at last get some experience in the private sector.”  Great speech.

Now, former Arkansas governor, Mike Huckabee.  Oh, yes he did.  “…the awful noise…was Debbie Wasserman-Shultz practicing her speech for next week.”  LOVE IT!  “We Can Do Better” is clearly the theme for the night.  “We Did Build It” is also paramount, but they’re really taking it to the president tonight.  “We’ve tried the one the press thought was perfect, and that hasn’t worked out too well for us.”  Word.  This guy is good – smooth, confident, but not condescending.  “…feed me, lead me, then bleed me.”  Perfect analogy.  This is great.  He just threw out the evangelical card and totally called out the president on his faith credentials.  Now he’s on to defending Catholics.  “I feel better about a President who would give generously of his own money, than mine or yours.”  Word.  “In the real world, you get the prize for producing something; not just promising something.”  One of the best speeches thus far.  Love that guy.  If you are an evangelical or on the fence about voting for Romney based on his religion, YouTube this speech. 

And now Condoleezza Rice is taking the podium.  I have the utmost respect for this woman.  I realize her speech has already been leaked, but I waited to hear it live.  I don’t think she’s using the teleprompter.  Makes me love her even more.  I can’t even do a pull-quote from this thing.  It’s that good.  This woman is a rock.  Okay, pull-quote: “Peace really does come through strength.”  Preach!  Oh, and now she’s on to energy independence.  “It does not matter where you came from.  It matters where you are going.” Oh, yes.  She’s talking class warfare.  I love this woman!  She has got this crowd revved up!  Now she’s on to immigration.  “…you may not be able to control your circumstances, but you can control your response to your circumstances.”  Education.  I love her thoughts on this.  Can’t really put it into words.  Oh.  Hell.  No.  They did not just cut her off.  What.  The.  Deuce?!  Had to switch to CBS, just in time to see her finish.  That was so incredibly homosexual, the epic PBS fail, that is.  Condi’s speech, however; pure dynamite.  Seriously, YouTube it. 

And now CBS has gone to commercial, instead of carrying Governor Susana Martinez of New Mexico.  I’m going back to PBS, who are joining her speech late.  I’m trouble getting into Gov. Martinez’s speech, since it’s pretty much impossible to follow Condi.  Except she just said that, when she was a teen; she carried a Smith & Weston .357 Magnum.  She just got so much hotter.  Gov. Martinez is just another example of how attractive women in the Republican party are.  Maybe it’s just their words, but you won’t find any scary creatures masquerading as females roaming the aisles here.  Those will be in Charlotte next week.  Ooo…now she’s talking about the president needing to own the economy and the debt because, “he did build that.”  Great speech, governor.

Okay, this is it.  The speech that I’m most looking forward to.  And here he is, Paul Ryan.  I’m in love with this guy’s words.  Let’s see if he can electrify this audience the way Sarah Palin did four years ago.  “After four years of the runaround, America needs a turn around.”  Oh, Gov. Walker (who just showed up on my screen), I love you too.  What an all-American this guy Ryan is.  Great family, and obviously heart-felt in his delivery.  Hello, Speaker Gingrich.  Dude, Walker is crying.  It’s that big, this moment.  “…the recovery that was promised, is nowhere in sight.”  This guy has a captive audience.  He’s driving this thing home, in the first ten minutes.  Brilliant.  “Why would the next four years be any different than the last four years?”  Preach.  This guy is awesome.  I don’t even know why I’m typing, you just need to see this to believe it.  He just dismantled ObamaCare in two sentences.  Oh, yes.  Play that Medicare card.  That just happened.  “The greatest threat to Medicare is ObamaCare, and we’re going to stop it.”  I’m at a loss for words.  I’m giddy with excitement.  He just called the Obama campaign “a ship trying to sail on yesterday’s wind.”  He’s getting wound up, and I – along with everyone in that hall – am loving it!  This guy is going to eviscerate Joe Biden in the forthcoming debate.  “One president, one term, $5 trillion in new debt.”  “We need to stop spending money we don’t have.  Really simple.  Not that hard.”  Making the not so complex even more easily understood.  What’s so telling about Ryan is how he’s passionate about getting on the right track, not like the angry finger-pointers on the left.  “…to this day, my mom is my role model.”  Standing ovation for mom.  Pure class.  “We will keep federal spending at 20 percent of the GDP or less, because that is enough.”  I love when he talks fiscal policy.  “…this issue isn’t the economy that Barack Obama inherited…but the economy that we’re living.”  I know I’ve used this phrase before, but this guy is pure dynamite.  “…a country where everything is free but us?”  I can’t even write about how great this bit is now.  You must watch this.  Every American should.  “My playlist starts with AC/DC and ends with Zeppelin.”  Epic.    “By the way, being successful in business; that’s a good thing!”  Word up, yo!  “Our rights come from nature and God and not from government!”  Preach.  He’s bringing it home (again).  He’s awesome.  Just wrapped it up.  Pure gold.  Fantastic.  I don’t have enough adjectives.  I won’t say he electrified the crowd the way Sarah did four years ago, but it was pretty close and just as substantive. 
I am so done with these bloviating windbags on PBS – or any of the networks, for that matter.  Just switched them off.  That’s why I watched.  I wanted my own opinion of his speech, not theirs.  Fantastic.  YouTube it.  (Yes, I just used “YouTube” as a verb.  Get over it.)  I don’t know how Mitt Romney will top this tomorrow night, but I’m excited to see him try.  Stay tuned.  

No comments:

Post a Comment